11 August 2013

Molue Series

 Have you ever entered the Lagos yellow trotter commonly called 'molue'? Have you ever experienced the commotion surrounding it? Have you ever been a victim of the dark clouds of gas from its exhaust pipe? Have you ever had a face-down with a conductor or his arrogant driver? Then you certainly know how I felt after standing at a bus-stop for about an hour in the cold evening. What I witnessed was just too much for me to take in in an hour and so I had to resort to my pen and dedicate a poem to the powerhouse of Lagos. Enjoy:

Let's Stop This Menace!


Black stripes on a yellow body
Pride of the black man's street
Lion of the streets of Judah
Master of the streets of Lagos.
Heralds of deaths,
Messengers of the devil.
Sent from heaven above
As a blessing to none below.
An affordable alternative
To the BRT
Yea, an affordable route
To the road walked by the dead.
Carrying on her back
More passengers than necessary
Tilting loftily on the tracks
Two tires in the air.
Oblivious to government officials
After a dose of 'something for the boys'
Second to none
The unchallenged master of the road.
Daily involved in street battle
Horning and honking with sincere insanity
Aided by the rhythmic composition
Of the man hanging by the door.
Tightly-packed like a tin of sardine
Sticky sweat and aromatic aroma.
Face close-by to my neighbour's armpit
Spitting fire with the help of close-up.
At every corner we swerve,
Left-right, right-left
Swinging and swaying steadily
To tune of the Lagos jams.
You know what it is,
Black and yellow, black and yellow.
It is none other than
The infamously famous commuter box.
"MOLUE"


After reading this poem, I'm sure you felt my pain. I sincerely accept your condolences...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Do You Think?